Skip to main content

How I Choose our Curriculum

It is the end of May and time for another round up of posts over at the Canadian Homeschooler. This month the Canadian Homeschool Blogging Team is talking about Choosing Curriculum. Grab your coffee and make sure to visit them all.

When it comes to curriculum the homeschool market is saturated. There is way too much to choose from. On top of that, I am a curriculum junkie (defined as having a hard time staying away from curriculum), so I struggle. I love checking out new curriculum, which is one of the main reasons why I am part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew. So, how do I manage and navigate this abundance of curriculum choices? Here are my  top three guidelines:


Our style of Homeschooling


We are classical in style and philosophy. Though we are also relaxed in practice, our pedagogy follows a classical bent. So when choosing and perusing curriculum I seem to always gravitates toward classical oriented companies and enjoy their products. This year it seems that I have hit the jackpot with Classical Academic Press; as a lot of our choices are coming from there.

Still figuring out your homeschooling style and method, check my post on Homeschooling Methods.

Our goals


Our goals are to train our kids in good study habits and disciplines, so we tend to use curriculum that are rigorous. Our home values critical thinking and good literacy, so our curriculum choices are heavy on the Language Arts and critical thinking.

My kids' learning style


When they were younger this was very important. My oldest hated worksheets and writing, so I steered away from them. As he grew older I was able to add more of those type of curriculum in our schooling. That said, he is quite auditory, so I made use of that a lot. My youngest on the other hand does better with worksheet type curriculum, so I try to choose those kinds for him, as opposed to living books types. Knowing the orientation of your children can be a  factor too, in helping you decide what subjects to focus on. My oldest is Language Ats and History (Humanities), my youngest Math and Logic. So these types of curriculum take priority in our line up.

Here is a post I wrote a few years back on Learning Styles.

The price


Even though we know what we would like to get for our kids, price is still a big factor in our final choices. I shop with the first guidelines in mind, and then narrow down according to price and what we can afford. Another aspect to consider is how economical is it in the long range, especially if you have a few children to homeschool.

All of this said, a few other things I do to make my curriculum decisions are:

  • Check samples. I rarely buy anything without seeing a sample. I need to see what it looks like before investing. I know what my kids will work with or not.

  • Read reviews, not just one, but a few, looking for people I trust and are withing the same homeschooling style as mine, or values as mine..

I have lots of reviews on this site, so feel free to check them out. If you want to know where our choices are leaning this coming year you can look at our Middle School Plans for Grade 7 post.

My favorite places to check on curriculum are :

ChristianBooks.com

Curriculum Choice

Cathy Duffy Curriculum Review

Schoolhouse Review Crew

Local Used Curriculum Sales. Here are two coming up:  Used Books and Curriculum Fair and Small Business Expo in Barrie on June 6th, TEACH, on June 12th in Brantford.


As we enter the curriculum buying season, take a deep breath, pray and know in advance what you are looking for, and your limitations, that will definitely help you navigate through the abundance and choices available to you.


This month, instead of a giveaway we are offering a Homeschool Curriculum Purchase worksheet. Hop on over to the Canadian Homeschooler to access it; and happy shopping!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reformation Day Giveaway

We are approaching October 31, which is an important date for all protestants. This date commemorates Martin Luther’s nailing of his ninety-five theses to a church door on October 31, 1517 in Wittenburg, Germany, which in turn provoked a debate that resulted in what we now call the Protestant Reformation. As the “Father of the Reformation”, Martin Luther is a vital figure in Church History. His sacrifice and willingness to wage battle against the spiritual, religious, and political powers of his medieval world allowed Christians throughout time to embrace the following truths: salvation by grace alone , through faith alone,  and in Christ alone, along with the supremacy of Scripture, referred to as  Scripture alone, and all of it for God's Glory Alone. These being commonly called the Five Solas of the Reformation.  Danika Cooley, author and creator of the Bible curriculum Bible Road Trip ,  has recently written a book for young people recounting Luther's story:   When

Veritas Press Self-Paced History - TOS Review

Veritas Press  is a long lasting Christian classical homeschool curriculum company. They have served the homeschool communities for a long time. For the past few weeks, we have been privileged to be reviewing one of their latest products:  Self-Paced History . The Self-Paced History curriculum is an online interactive history program. It consists of 160 lessons per course per year, each covering about 32 important historical events. The full program is chronological and is divided into 5 periods: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt  New Testament, Greece and Rome  Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation  Explorers to 1815  1815 to Present  These courses are best suited to kids in the grammar stage, that is grade 2-6. Tuition for each course year is $199, with a discount of $100 for each additional student. You have a full year to complete the course. Because Self-Paced History is an online program, you will need a computer with internet access. You can find more

Visual Learning Systems - TOS Review

I have to admit I am in love with our first review product from the 2015 crew year. We received a full year subscription to Visual Learning Systems 's Digital Online Science Program Elementary edition and S econdary edition . Science has always been one those subjects I am having all sort of trouble deciding what to use and never being fully satisfied with what we are doing. Well my search is over. I am really hoping to stick with this one. What is Visual Learning Systems? Visual Learning Systems is an online science publisher that provides quality science educational material through videos. They offer Unit Studies for K-12 in DVD or digital format, as well as a Digital Online Subscription for both Primary/Elementary  (K-5) and Middle/High School  (6-12). The program we received, the Digital Online Subscription, is totally online. Therefore you need a computer and an internet connection. It also works fine on tablets. When you sign up you get a log in for the stude